People often ask me for recommendations on getting started in the ServiceNow world. Although it typically depends on what your career path looks like, there are a common group of objectives that I always recommend. As much as I dislike the idea of blasting through certifications just to say you have them, there are a few certs that hold a lot of weight in the industry. Hopefully this post will shed some light on the subject.
At the time of this post, ServiceNow offers over 25 courses, however I’ll only focus on the most common ones that are over general subjects, as opposed to courses over specific applications/areas like Discovery.
First let’s break down the general focus areas of ServiceNow.
ServiceNow Focus Areas
- Administration – This is typically the most common starting point. Administration courses will teach you the basics of ServiceNow and how to appropriately configure and customize the platform.
- ServiceNow Administration (official)
- Advanced ServiceNow Administration (official)
- ServiceNow 101: Administration (unofficial)
- Certified System Administrator (official)
- Development – This focus area is generally for those who already have a programming background and understand the basics to application development. etc. etc….
- Scripting in ServiceNow (official)
- Application Creation in ServiceNow (official)
- ServiceNow 201: Development (unofficial)
- Certified Application Developer (official)
- Implementation – This focus area is for those who have already been through a ServiceNow implementation and have hands-on training.
- None, although there is an official Implementation Bootcamp
- Certified Implementation Specialist (official)
Official ServiceNow Courses
- ServiceNow Administration ($2,095) – This is the first and most common ServiceNow course. This course will teach you a number of common administration topics that are outlined in on the official website.
- Advanced ServiceNow Administration ($1,595) – This course teaches you more advanced administration subjects that are not found, nor required for the Certified System Administrator exam. I generally do not recommend this course.
- Scripting in ServiceNow ($2,095) – This course will teach you general scripting concepts on the ServiceNow platform.
- Application Creation in ServiceNow ($2,095) – This course will teach you how to create custom applications on the ServiceNow platform.